Monday, July 19, 2010

Alright.So I know it has been quite a while since I have written about my experiences here, and there is NO POSSIBLE WAY I can write about everything, so I will try to write just about the most interesting parts.

First of all, I just got back from my one week study tour through Sweden and Norway. Which was AWESOME. But I want to start with the week before that, which was my first week here in Copenhagen and the one week research project.
Copenhagen is soo beautiful. I love it. The weather is sunny and in the 70's every day, so it is warm enough to not need a jacket until it gets dark: WHICH IS AT 11 PM. It stays light out here for soooooo long!!That is a picture of my Kollegium (dorm) somewhere between 10:30 and 11 pm. I'm not even sure if it ever gets COMPLETELY dark out...I think it just gets a dark blue color.

But anyways, the room is fine. Not exactly 5 star, but it is perfect for just me and my things.

I have made some pretty good friends while I'm here: most of which live in my Kollegium, so we travel to and from school together and we have had a couple family style dinners. It is really nice to meet people my age from across the country who are all going about studying architecture in TOTALLY different ways.

Speaking of studying..the one week project. It really wasn't that bad, it was just tough to work in a group because not all of us could work on our model at one time. So that of course got frustrating at the end, but I am still friends with my 2 other partners. =)
So after the presentation of our project, I got to go with 32 other students on a study tour through Sweden and Norway, which was super cool. We were on and off a bus with THE BEST BUS DRIVER EVER: Sven. lol Dustin was our intern-leader and our two professors on board were Johann and Peter. Johann is this cute little Swedish guy who is really fun to be around. Peter on the other hand, was super boring and was glued to his iphone the entire time.

Anyways, it was a lot of fun getting to travel. Sweden wasn't really all that exciting, because we only spent two days there. The first day we went to a water color museum right on the water and it was SOOO PRETTY. Perhaps the setting inspired me, but I have managed to rekindle my love for water color painting, and I am loving the set I bought here. It's pretty nice, and I got a little collapsible cup for my water. =)

Sooo.....after Sweden, we went to Norway and we stayed mostly in Oslo. We did manage to travel outside of Oslo a few days to see some other buildings, but most of the time we were there touring the local architecture. The Oslo Opera House by Snohetta IS GORGEOUS. The whole thing is covered in white Italian Marble so it is super smooth and it is all ramped and it is just sooo inviting. We all spent quite a bit of time there. We had a tour through the whole thing, and it made me miss ballet so much.... =( I even bought a used pointe shoe in the little souvenier shop. Anyways, here it is for all the non-architecture people:
We got a lovely cruise on the way back from Norway, and now I am comfortably back in Copenhagen. I must say I did miss being here when we were off traveling. Moving from hotel to hotel (although we did get to stay in a yacht club one night..) gets extremely tiring very quickly, so it is nice to be back in my own room.



And todayyyyyy......we met with our new studio professors and went on a lovely bike tour of outer Copenhagen. My professor's name is Mark and he is a local Dane. He is really really nice, and I think I am going to like him a lot.

Biking here, is HUGE. Over 30% of the population bikes on a daily basis and by 2015, they are predicting over 50%. Because of this, Copenhagen is trying to become THE BEST biking city in the world by 20....25 I think. I don't think they are too far off, though, its pretty darn nice.

So naturally, our studio project is a biking pit-stop for the locals. The site is right next to a metro stop, so there is plenty of pedestrian traffic and public transportation in the area. We only have, like, 3 1/2 weeks to do the entire project though, so I am predicting some long nights. ESPECIALLY if I want my 400 level design credit when I return to Pratt. Ugh.

Ok, so I think that is enough for now. I finally threw some pictures in there for some visual references, and now I am tired and I plan on just relaxing for the rest of the evening.

How Danish.

No comments:

Post a Comment